Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thing Fourteen, LibraryThing

I first experimented with LibraryThing some time ago and had added several books when I made the big switch and headed over to GoodReads. I migrated because I had friends using one interface and not the other; I wanted this to be a social, sharing experience and the move made that possible. Additionally, GoodReads has a Facebook function that I use on my profile page and that connects me to more friends via this social networking tool.

In the end I am happier with GoodReads; it allows me the same cataloging functionalities and tagging and includes the same links to reviews and ratings with the added benefit of my being able to create multiple bookshelves. My shelves can be as straight forward as "to-read" and "reading" or as specific as genre or author. I am a huge fan of this site and enjoy all the little bunny trails it leads me on. I've followed many a book trail and have stumbled upon some great reads for myself and my book club already. I look forward to plenty of fun in the future and am quite convinced that if one is willing this can be a fun and useful reader's advisory tool.

No comments: