Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thing Thirteen, On-line Productivity Tools

This post, by nature of the task, will be a bit disjointed, just a few comments on my initial reactions to a few of the sites I visited...


I have been using My Yahoo! for sometime now as a means of consolidating some of the information I tend to use on a regular basis. In all honesty, however, I rarely use the site. I prefer Bloglines' interface and like having Minnesota Public Radio as my home page so that I can start my day with a little news and a bit of music.

Scrybe impressed me immensely because of its ability to transcend format, delivery or information types and uniformly create a single place with self-selected information relevant to the my life. Although I hesitate registering for many on-line tools I was disappointed to find that Scrybe has closed registration for the time being; it seems like a wonderful tool. I will definitely want to revisit this site in the future.

Research application came to my mind immediately upon my first visit to My Stickies. What a fantastic tool for distance reference; if I could send e-mail sources to a user and let them know very clearly why I thought they could use the site. I did not sign-up, but am interested to know if there are collaborative possibilities or if the sites are "shareable." It is closest in my mind to the "social annotation" site Diigo that I find wildly interesting but have yet to integrate into any reference interaction.


Above all else, this exercise left me feeling like my life is very calm and manageable. Looking at all of these tools and calendars and widgets and add-ons tired me out. My resolution post "Thing 13" is to maintain a sense of sanity about my life and be thankful for the fact that I don't have to rely on "Remember the Milk" to get through my day!

No comments: