Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thing Twelve, Social Media Sites

Of all the on-line activities I have experienced I had the hardest time getting excited about the social media sites. While I can understand their popularity and can see how people would be excited about being a "part of" the action and having their "say" in the matter I found most of them difficult to navigate, unattractive in layout, and lacking in valuable information. My hesitation, however, has not stopped this digital discussion, as proven by the fact that Yahoo! now has their own program, buzz, in beta.

I may just be a librarian fuddy duddy, less concerned with what others are thinking (some of the top stories I ran across were American Idol or celebrity focused) and more interested in quality news representation or challenging articles. I've found sites that I prefer, Newsmap or Arts and Letters Daily, for example, and will stick to those. As for the social sites, I found them highly distracting and can only imagine the bunny trails I could get on if I spent any time at all on them.

No comments: