Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thing Sixteen, Student 2.0 Tools

I am very impressed with both the University of Minnesota Assignment Calculator and the Research Project Calculator. The one thing that I hope every student gets from using this tool is that research TAKES TIME!

In an age of instantaneous results and near instant gratification I am beginning to wonder if the students I come into contact with realize that there are necessary time constraints to the finding, physical retrieval, and understanding of information. I like the calculators most because of the space in time they outline takes; whether or not the student follows the suggestions he realizes that he must take a logical and progressive approach to the project.

I also liked the way the UofM Library inserted tutorials and search help within the outline. What a wonderful way to connect the class with the library. Depending upon how much use this tool gets from students it would also be a great place to experiment with live chat and communities built around particular assignments. I even wonder if students would be interested in creating tags for books they found helpful in order to aid other students in their class. As we have already seen in the practice and exploration of the 23 Things the possibilities are seemingly endless!

No comments: