Wednesday, April 16, 2008

WorldCat Local

As are so many other libraries in today's information laden environment the consortium the library I work in is exploring new means of discovering and delivering information. As part of the process we are all invited to read articles or view other media that elaborates on the qualities of some of the larger players in the discussion.

Today I looked over OCLC’s WorldCat Local: A Promising Development for Library Patrons by Barbara Quint. It is an older article and didn't necessarily break open any new concept or idea for me, but it did give me the opportunity to think about WorldCat, play around on the University of Washington's site, and revel in the enjoyment of searching and browsing and refining and reviewing...

I realize I am a librarian so I understand that searching excites me in a way most others do not experience. I understand that I think about and search for information differently than most other "professionals," but I am really interested in knowing, from a user's perspective, what is not to love about this interface! Grant it I can see technical problems including Inter library loan, etc.... but when I think about the patron I can't help but believe this is a better experience than what I currently ask them to use. But would a patron be as excited about the faceted searching and the ability to read reviews and preview as I am?! I would sure think so!

Unfortunately the use of WorldCat Local is still new to the academic setting and aside from Next Generation Library Catalogs: Jennifer Ward/ WorldCat Local there is little to be said. It is, however, an encouraging, user centered advancement in a more streamlined approach to information discovery.






No comments: