Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thing Twenty, Libraries and Social Networking

I have actually been a Facebook member for about eight months now. It is hard to miss this phenom of the web since I work on a college campus; I think students visit the library to check their Facebook accounts more that they come to research.



My network of friends consist mostly of student workers here at the college and colleagues or friends from church. I am of the opinion that others are just not that interested in me and what I happen to be doing at the moment, but....



We have had a lot of success advertising for library events via Facebook. The first time we invited our "I worked and the Berntsen Library" network I noticed a definite increase in attendance; students who do not even pay attention to the fliers on the wall and the announcements in their mailbox definitely check their Facebook account.



Facebook is entertaining and I find it an easy tool to use to help me keep up with acquaintances and schedule coffee dates. It in no way substitute for face to face time but it does facilitate interaction, is super easy to use, and compulsively browsable.

No comments: